Open Thread: How Hot is it Where You Are Today? (Tell Us in Comments Section)

Written by Matt Barrett on . Posted in Act, Extreme weather

Hey Planet Change readers. Open thread time! HOW HOT IS IT WHERE YOU ARE RIGHT NOW?

We want to hear from you all in the Comments section below. Click the headline of this post to access the perma-link page with Comments section.

And, also, check out our Facebook thread on this topic by clicking here.

Are you used to this type of heat? Are you concerned about the trend? Is a fall jacket still on your kids’ back-to-school list?

It’s currently 98 degrees F here in Arlington, Virginia but it “feels like” 112 degrees F with the heat index.

Here’s news on the heat wave from Reuters. And check out what CNN is saying about the impact of this insane heat wave on our power demand. Meanwhile, here’s an explanation of what the heck a heat dome is. And here’s a heat wave safety checklist from the Red Cross.

Also, check out our perhaps prophetic post about the weirding of weather in 2010 and what we thought might happen this year!

Stay cool!

Matt Barrett is a blogger and communications manager at The Nature Conservancy

Photo by: flickr user Steve and Jemma Copley (Desert Sun)

Tags: , , , , ,

Trackback from your site.

Comments (54)

• Matt Barrett

It’s 98 degrees here in Arlington, VA right now but it feels like 112. It’s like being immersed in simmering bath water.

• Paul Mackie

The only things that usually keep me from riding my bike to work from Maryland to Virginia are child-drop-off responsibilities, really windy days, and the very worst snowstorms. All that said, I don’t remember many days (other than in the past few years) when it was just too darn hot to bike to work.

I rode on Monday of this week and skipped the rest of the days to opt for the sometimes-stiflingly-hot rides on the metro/subway through DC. The car exhaust combined with heat actually made me sick and I had to stay home on Wednesday. So I’ve missed four days of riding this week. I hope the temperature heads back south of 100 soon. I’m already feeling out of shape.

Paul Mackie
    Silver Spring, Md.

• Lisa Hayden

Today is supposed to be the worst of it in New England – at least for this stretch. Pushing 100.
    No AC…Here in rural Massachusetts we feel like we only really need it 2-3 days a year – which are happening now! But it’s not even August yet.
    Closing up the house in early morning helps a lot, but on these days, the stuffiness just permeates by late afternoon. I slept on the couch with the dog cuz it was too hot on 2nd floor. My husband toughed it out up there alone…

• Jan

This heat wave has shocked me. I’m from the Caribbean and we have our hot, humid days but this type of weather in Arlington, VA is just oppressive! THERE IS NO BREEZE! I cannot stop commenting to my family and friends back home about how hot it is (and was for the past few days)! I could slice the air air with a knife. I hope it doesn’t continue past the weekend. The rain storm that follows will be intense though.

• Victoria

Here in New York it’s 97 but “feels like” 115!

• RubbingElbows

101 in Washington Twsp, NJ

• Gail

On Cobbossee Lake in Maine, it’s 94 on my shaded porch…..

• Craig

It is 99 here in north central Pa today and was about the same yesterday! We installed a pool last summer and am very glad we did! The kids have spent the entire day in there! The water is 86 but that is cooler than the air!

• Matt Barrett

just eclipsed triple-digits here in Arlington, VA. 101 degrees but “feels like” 117.

• Mary Ellen Davis

It’s 27C here which would be 87F. Temps rising to 29C tonight and 31C tomorrow. We’ve had ‘feels like’ 45C this week which is 111F. This is in Canada!

• Mitch Labuda

Toledo, Ohio. Strong thunderstorms passed through, tree limbs down, 91 before, now 84, yesterday at this time, 101

• Kevin Klasman

It briefly hit 101.3 at 2:26pm today in Hollis NH before dropping back to a balmy 100.6 right now 3:10pm). The sun is still out strongly so who knows…

Thankful for AC and no power outages…yet.

• Ryan

Here in Baltimore, weather.gov says it’s 107º, with a heat index of 120. A lot of people are getting sick.

• Guy P. Murdock

It has now started to back off from the earlier 95=degrees that we peaked at earlier today. Here in Jefferson, Maine, the breeze coming across Deer Meadow pond felt like a blower on a furnace.

• karen

101, heat index 115
    Raleigh, NC

• Kate Lee

It is extremely hot and humid in Southern New Jersey. If the devil lived here, he would be opening his windows!

• cory

I live in prairie lea, tx. Which is about an hour south of Austin. My thermometer reads 105 as we speak. Feels like a heater outside. Its only rained twice in the last few months. Everyone’s yards have huge cracks in the soil, which seem to be quite deep. Trees are dying, all grass is dead, and were under major burn bands. Its safe to say we’re concerned. We’re used to drought down here. But this is worse

• Matt Barrett

Cory – sounds brutal down there. when you say this is worse, are there specific ways it differs from the droughts and heat you’re used to? – Matt

• lorraine

Last I saw it was 103 with a heat index of 116…Our swimming pool is a balmy 98…but at least it is wet.

• Matt Barrett

98 in the pool??!!! it really IS simmering bathwater

• Debbie

104 F here in PA….

• Mason

It’s 104 degrees in Brooklyn, NY!! with humidity its 111 degrees! Thankfully i’m in an office building with AC and don’t have a reason to leave till 6pm. I’m originally from FL and it’s never this hot there. And today it’s actually cooler in Tampa, FL than here in Brooklyn.

• Linda

100 degrees in Lakewood, NJ … I hear a storm trying to break through the heat. I’m a walker (5 mi. a day – 4 starting before daybreak and 1 mi. at sunset). Last night was the hottest, most ozone filled mi. I ever walked – I actually couldn’t breath.

• michelle

Here in Nashua NH it is 106, according to weather underground. heat index 107. HOT!

• Troy Mullens

Africa Hot. (here in Ft. Worth)

• Stephanie

107 here, heat index 115 (so far). Van Buren, AR. Forecast for today was 105, but we’ll probably hit at least 110, since we’re ALWAYS 5-10 degrees higher than the forecast. Yesterday they said 103, but what we GOT was 111. Global warming? I think so!

• Cathy

In Amarillo TX as of 2:30 it’s 95, it’s been a bit “cooler” the last few days and we have broken the record of 25 degrees over 100 in a summer season, we had day 27 yesterday. Also the wind isn’t as horrible as it was in June and early July. March is always windy and by the first week of April it usually subsides. We are in a severe drought, we have had less than 2″ of moisture this year.

• kathy stewart

It’s 96 degrees F here, in Conway, NH, and the air is heavy. I am not used to heat like this, and due to COPD and CHF, am having difficulty breathing. I hope this is not an upward trend for New England!

• Lola Vanslette

Online it says its 87 here in Swanton, Vermont but my thermometer here in West Swanton has reached over 100 right now. Of course, where the temp is being monitored is in town and we are on the lake. I have had worse weather in Kentucky (126 in Louisville), but I didn’t expect this in Northern Vermont.

• Kat Hay

I’m sitting here in 63 degrees of Pacific Northwest overcast – just had to put on some warm sox – and counting my lucking stars.

• Matt Barrett

the pacific northwest and california appear to be the only inhabitable places in the US right now! where else can you exercise and not feel worse at the end??

• SJJ

Welcome to my world!
    It’s been like this for several months here in CenTX. Triple digits. Things are browning up nicely:)

• sharon aldredge

A cool breezy, cloudy day with occasional rain at *67 here in Kalispell, Mt.

• DP

98F in Upstate NY (Southern Adirondacks) feels like it is over 100. Just oppressive

• Delia

Have fan on my old cat and fan on the rabbits. Don’t feel well. Just trying to survive. Global warming and it”s only going to get worse. We have done this to ourselves. Have come to despise the summer because it’s not going to get better til September.

• Jay Banta

I live in Brandon, Vermont. I don’t remember it ever being this hot in Vermont! I grew up in Nebraska and it was like this almost all summer. The difference was that our house had central AC. Here in Vt. not many folks, including us, have central air in their homes. Whew! According to the temp in the car it was 97 degrees.

• Valerie Burns

I’m in Northeast harbor, Maine and last time I check it was 95. I’m at work n have been here for 3 yrs the ocean at hightide is about reachable from the front yard so heat has never been an issue here…usually its hot at my home n my family’s complaining n I’m cold at work with the sea smoke that wont clear all day. But today is the first time in my 3 year of working here that its been this hot as if you just shut urself in a 400 degree oven. WOW! can we say warming n will this just keep getting worse?
    Thanks for letting me share from DownEast Maine

• laura

66 degrees in portland, oregon….perfect!

• Elizabeth

Given that this is a science-oriented website, I’m bothered by the hinted conflation of weather and climate here. Although I kind of want to cheer on any evidence that will show the deniers that climate change is happening, I think it’s dangerous to latch onto regional heat spells. The climate deniers will be all over a cold spell in the same way, mocking anyone who claims the earth is getting warmer.

I realize that places like the Southwest have lingering droughts that may be climate-related, but let’s not mix those up with weather on the East Coast.

Oh, and by the way, here in NE Oregon, it’s unseasonably cool (I don’t have a thermometer, but probably highs in the 60s). We’re building fires in our wood stoves at night and hoping to get enough warmth this summer to ripen a few tomatoes.

• Matt Barrett

@ Elizabeth, never thought i’d be jealous of 60 degree summer days! but, in seriousness, you raise a very good point regarding broad trends vs. individual events. We will have to let the science determine to what extent the current heat wave plaguing the central and eastern US is linked to carbon pollution and climate change, BUT this type of extreme heat and drought in parts of the US is consistent with the predicted macro trends and impacts associated with a warming planet.

• Kim Wilson

It’s 98 in Portland, Maine and all the somewhat affordable air conditioners are sold out. I’m fearing for my cats.

• Sarah Murdock

I thought that working from home this summer would be a good thing, but with the temperature pushing 100 and no AC, I am rethinking. I went out to do an errand at the store which has been my only relief from it all day. Off to go for a swim in the ocean with my son. That should help.

• Paul Mackie

It’s really interesting to hear from a couple of colleagues in New England that they don’t have air conditioners. One told me she only needs one about three days per year. But both those people are working from home and I don’t see how they can seriously work in this heat.
      Will be an interesting trend to follow how many people begin investing in air conditioners ver the coming years as the climate continues to shift hotter and hotter towards the north.

• kite

72* sunny with a lite breeze here in the beautiful Rocky Mountains in Cripple Creek Colorado….Awesome

• Cynthia Abbott

It’s 108 on my breezeway in the shade right now. And we’re out in the country, away from lots of pavement. (Location near Clearwater, Kansas – south central Kansas.) We are also terribly dry; it’s a much tougher summer than usual for this area…and that’s saying quite a bit!

• Crystal Roy

It’s 101 here in Dallas, 30% humidity. It feels a lot hotter. My poor boyfriend works in a warehouse and the a/c broke there and they’ve been “fixing” it for the last 3 days.

• hi, from NB Canada, rainy and damp here today, tommorrow humid is expected !

hi, from New Brunswick, Canada rainy and damp ,tomorrow humidity is expected !

• Elane

102 degrees at 5:30 here in Raleigh, NC-yesterday was a record breaker, I imagine today will be too!

• Janette Dombrowski

It’s 106 degrees here in Baltimore, MD. But factor in the humidity, which is always horrible in Baltimore, and it’s 115. You can’t breath when you go outside. Had no air conditioning yesterday but it’s up today. It’s just unbearable. I lived in New Mexico for ten years. It was hot yet didn’t have this humidity and the air was cleaner.

• Jeff Fiedler

High today 71 here in Leadville, CO, which is right about average. Forecasting 77 tomorrow. Record high is 85 for July.

Humidity 17%!

101 in Arlington — makes me tired just thinking about it.

• becky hunter

Southern Maryland about 60 miles south of DC…………….105 in the sun, heat index 110?
    I have a wren nesting in my front yard…….hope the eggs don’t boil.. :-(

• ANNE KOTLUS

Not sure how hot it got, but it is still 92 or better on the back porch in Dover, NH at 7:39pm!!

• Kim W

11pm, still 90 in Salem, MA. However, it’s 99 in my bedroom. I feel like I live in a dryer.

• Marcia Bonta

We live in the mountains of central Pennsylvania. We have had occasional heat waves over the years. Once, in 1988, we hit 104 degres, but we usually rarely reach 90 degrees even once most summers. this last week it has been as hot as 98 degrees at 3:00 P.M.